Friday, January 1, 2010

1.1.10 From the Wool to the Thread - a Spinning Workshop with Yonit Crystal








Happy New Year 2010 dear friends and readers!

I had the great occasion to start the year with a wonderful spinning workshop adventure.

Towards the end of the workshop, Yonit arrived carrying in her hands 2 of her own giant handmade weaved baskets, full of beautifully colored skeins, from wool that she herself gathered, cleaned, spun and colored with Nature colors. It was an exciting moment. How many people like this do you encounter today, in your day-to-day life? It felt like everything was worth it to be present in this whimsical place (המחלבה הישנה, Moshav Ometz), at this time, in this workshop.
Yonit is an artist and craftswoman living from her own handmade work and instruction. She wears clothes that she herself knitted from wool that she gathered from sheep. Also her hat in the picture above is woven by her. Very interesting woman, who reminds me of my Grandma. Very assertive, diligent, strong and she knows exactly what she wants.
I failed learning the skill of Spinning, but I will try to practice at home when Omer will be available to create for me one distaff, as I kindly asked him to :-)
Above you can see pictures of the process from the step of taking the dirty wool, to cleaning it, brushing it, spinning it and finally have beautifully naturally colored skeins.
I am already impatient for next workshop when we are going to dye the wool. To be continued ... :-)

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I would just like to take some time too Thank everyone for doing what you do and making the community what it is im a long time reader and first time poster so i just wanted to say thanks.

Строим дом said...

Excellent work